SEO strategy is like a long game of chess. To win, you must have a thorough understanding of the rules, a strategy, and know how to get the job done. Chess may be called the “game of kings”, but you don’t have to be a master to win and search engine optimization is the same way.
Developing a Long-Term SEO Strategy
SEO Strategist – First of all, there needs to be one person with an overall view of your SEO strategy as a whole. This way, you don’t have a bunch of different people all doing the same thing. If your company is large, have one person manage and delegate tasks to execute your SEO strategies.
Keep your eye on the big picture. – Just like in chess, you need to be able to look ahead several moves and anticipate what your opponents are doing. This is how you give your website that extra SEO boost from time to time. Remember, don’t do anything stupid. If it seems risky, it probably is.
Optimize for humans, not search engines. – We call it search engine optimization, but we build websites for people, right? If you keep that in mind, you’ll do fine.
Build and maintain your reputation. – Reputation is as important online as it is in the real world. One of your SEO strategies should be reputation management or you’re doing it wrong!
Be an authority! – I talk about authority a lot because it’s important. If you have no authority, everything you do will fall flat. Your SEO strategy is no different. Fill your site with helpful content and aim to be the go-to place in your industry. Having an authoritative website will make your search engine optimization a much simpler task and you will be hard to beat in the long run.
Playbook to Win the SEO Game
- Play 1 – Use social media. Can you imagine a growing list of mobile-optimized websites where you can list your business and share content in all different formats totally free? It already exists! At the bare minimum, your business should be active on Facebook and Twitter.
- Play 2 – Be an authority! – I hope I don’t sound like a broken record. Listen, you’re not going to jump online and build an authority site in a week. That’s why I put this under the long-term SEO strategies as well. While you can’t build it short-term, you need to start with this goal in mind right out of the gate.
- Play 3 – Pull in links from authority sites. – This is a slow and steady process. Have you ever been on an authority site and come across a dead link? That’s one way to edge your way in if you have an article that fits the link and topic. If you don’t, you might want to consider creating one just for the purpose of nabbing that link real estate. Guest posting is another good way to grab those authority back links and boost SEO.
- Play 4 – Be human. – No one wants to visit a site built for robots. I’ve seen sites online that were optimized for search engine bots. They are a mess of keywords that form articles that make no sense. They are loaded down with junk links. That’s no way to live in the search engine optimization space just to make a quick buck off some ads. In fact, it won’t work. Google will slap you with a penalty so fast, you won’t recover.
- Play 5 – Plan for the long-term. – Even if you website is something you are just trying, build and optimize it for the long-term. If you don’t, when your business takes off, you’ll have a huge mess to clean up later.
Action Steps to Boost SEO Today
I like to include little quick start guides with posts like this that give you action steps so you can get started right away:
- Remove clutter from your website. Sleek and clean is a great first step to search engine optimization.
- Structure your content. Have H1 titles, H2 subtitles, format your copy in digestible chunks, and include links that support your content.
- Use keywords in all the right places including your titles and tags.
- Create great content. You can’t have solid SEO strategies without it.
Just like chess, SEO is a game you can win. Just make sure you are using the best SEO strategies for the long haul that present you as an authority in your industry!